Monday, February 11, 2013

For my Friend, Sigi

I have a friend, whom i admire a great deal on a DT called Dutch Paper Crafts.  Her name is Sigi.  She takes in wildlife and nurtures them and cares for them and then releases them back into the wild.  Of course her "clients" are the wildlife and so she does this for free.  She has written about how she purchases acorns to feed the local squirrels because there isn't enough locally to feed them  She has cages that house birds with broken wings, hand feeds them...and in return they learn to trust and love her.  Who couldn't admire someone like that.
They just went through the worst winter storm, but she was prepared and had her wildlife protected as well.  She also endures physically things that most would not.  She just had surgery done for carpal tunnel and a nerve in her elbow.  She is taking care of her wildlife and all of this with one hand.  One of the things she is doing to make money to help care for the wildlife, is to make handmade flowers by hand...each petal.  I told her i would put up link for her on my blog to help sell her flowers. (see below). My understanding is that she is licensed to care for wildlife.

Meanwhile, i made this card for Sigi because it reminds me of the love she has for her wildlife friends:
 I am entering this card into Mo's Challenge Blog- "Anything Goes"
and into this challenge:
Forever Friends- February Monthly challenge, Animals, butterflies, birds

Here is one of Sigi's flower sample packs that she sells for $40...you can request colors and styles. Here is a link to her blog where you can write her.


9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card for such a loving person! She must be truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Sigi sounds like a remarkable woman. This is really special for someone really special. Lovely, Bonnie. xx Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous card. I love the way you used the layout. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous gesture for a fabulous person! Just love the image you chose for her card! Love your design, papers & embellies, too! So sweet of you, Bonnie! :^)
    Hugs, Penny
    P.S. Looks like she makes some beautiful flowers, too! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful card, Bonnie, and it is so sweet of you to have made a card for your friend! Love the layout in this one and the embellies, everything looks perfect!
    Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Mo's!
    Hugs, Iulia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, this takes my breath away! This was me when I was little! leaning on my windowsill talking with the sparrows. I love how you've framed it and added that lovely birdcage paper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooooh.... you made me cry, Bonnie, this was so unexpected! Thank you so very much, and then to read all those nice comments...
    Correcion, though: I COLLECT acorns by the hundreds of pounds, then heat them in the oven for about an hour to kill any worms hiding inside, and then they go on a drying rack my husband built me several years ago. By the time our fall harvest is done that rack holds about 1,000 lbs of native nuts which, once dry, I can store for several years. - The past two years our acorn crops failed and now I am using my reserves. If we get another failing crop this year I will be in deep trouble. I am hoping for a bumper crop, I need at least 500 lbs to restock. That translates into several weeks of backbreaking work since I don't rake them up, I pick them up one at a time and discard the bad ones. - This winter I am feeding about 20 squirrels that come daily for their food but are otherwise completely wild.
    Two nights ago I discovered another diner: a little opossum girl, she comes around midnight and leisurely empties the food bowl.
    For all who enjoy wildlife, my blog is part wildlife rehabilitation writings and part my paper crafts. Every word in my stories is true, as are the amazing animals that have crossed my path. Proceeds of my crafts help offset the enormous out-of-pocket expenses required to care for wildlife. Last year 97 were brought to me, and who knows what 2013 will bring!
    Cheers!
    Sigi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi how are you?? It has been some time that I have commented your blog..

    What a cute card!!

    THANKS FOR JOINING THE FOREVER FRIENDS MONTHLY CHALLENGE ( ANIMALS ),

    Goodluck and do come back soon..

    Hugs FF DT Blankina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful card and gorgeous image! Thank you for joining us at Forever Friends Challenge and Good Luck in the draw^_^
    Sonia DT member

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments...it makes me so very happy!